Our beloved founder, Sri Kopalle Hanumantha Rao Panthulu Garu, M.A. B.L. was a renowned educationist and stalwart freedom fighter in the time of Pre-Independent India. He actively participated in the Indian Freedom Movement by closely associating with Sri Lala Lajapathi Roy, Sri Bala Gangadhar Tilak and Sri Bipin Chandra Pal (Lal-Bal-Pal). He also led the Indian National Congress in South India before the Gandhian era. The conglomeration of his ideologies towards Swaraj and in response to the Nation's call to make India self-sufficient (during the Swadesi Movement), on 17th November 1907, he put forward a constructive work by bequeathing his family property for the establishment of a flagship institution known as Andhra Jatheeya Vidya Parishad.
In 1910, he established the Andhra Jatheeya Kalasala to impart and promote the imparting of education - Literary, Scientific, Technical and Professional on National lines and exclusively under national control - attaching special importance to a knowledge of the country, its literature, history and philosophy, and designed to incorporate with the best Oriental ideals of life and thought the best assimilable ideals of the West to inspire students with a genuine love for their country and a real desire to serve it. The Parishad was registered under the Act XXI of 1860, on 19-6-1911. It shows an explicit example of teamwork of the founder Sri Kopalle Hanumantha Rao Panthulu Garu along with his associates Sri Mutnuri Krishna Rao and Sri Bhogaraju Pattabhi Seetharamaiah with others.
The foundation stone for the construction of the Kalasala buildings was laid on March 25th 1909 in 34.4 acres of land and was inaugurated by "Desabhaktha" Sri Konda Venkatappayya Panthulu on 27th March, 1910. Sri Kopalle Hanumantha Rao Panthulu Garu served as the Founder Principal of the Andhra Jatheeya Kalasala and put strenuous efforts in collating funds required to run the institution for many years. Inspired with his commitment, dedication and patriotic fervour in the establishment of the Institution, a number of people contributed their mite.
In 1921, Mahatma Gandhi visited this campus and stayed for two days. Inspired with the commitment of the Founder towards developing conceptual idealism towards Swaraj through education wrote a tribute in the chronicles of the Institution.
Since 1988, Andhra Jatheeya Vidya Parishad is registered under Act 30 of 1987 Andhra Pradesh Hindu Religious, Charitable and Endowments Act and is under the Administrative Control of Commissioner, Endowments Department - Andhra Pradesh.
Since 1999, The Andhra Jatheeya Vidya Parishad is being managed by Dr. Kopalle Hanumantha Rao, the recognized Founder Family Member of the institution. The Endowments Department Official functions as the Executive Officer of the Vidya Parishad and Correspondent for all the subsidiary institutions under the lawful directions of the Founder Family Member. The present management is making efforts towards reviving the past glory under the guidance of the Commissioner, Endowments Department, Andhra Pradesh.